Physion

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

is there a way to create objects in "layers"?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: is there a way to create objects in "layers"?

is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 4 years, 4 months ago #827

I want to simulate a clock. and You can notice that some gears may have the same X and Y coordinates but since they have a different Z coordinate (they are in some kind of different "layers") they don't interact with each other .
Do You believe it is possible to simulate this behavior with physion's scripting!?

Re: is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 4 years ago #835

I also wanted to design a clock.
To create several superimposed objects which don't interact,
in the Property Editor, for each object, use different Filtercategories and FilterMasks.
Then you can create Distant Joints between gears to tie them on the same axis.
I upload an example in the Gear2 scene.
Delete the green rectangle or change it ZValue to see the gears.

I don't know if we'll be able to build a clock driving a pendulum with an escape wheel, because escape wheels are not symmetrical like PHYSION's gears.
For an example of a verge and escape wheel see:
www.perrinwatchparts.com/product/3515.aspx

Good luck for your project.

JeanPaulB This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 4 years ago #836

A better image for the verge and escape wheel,
from : upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Scappamento.gif

JeanPaulB This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 3 years, 7 months ago #863

• LGONZALEZ65
  • Fresh Boarder
  • d/dt(∂L/∂q’)-∂L/∂q=0
Hi,
This software is really awesome. Congratulations.

1. I would like to know if is there any documented reference on the use of FilterGroupIndex, FilterCategories and FilterMasks. I'd like to have layers in order that the objects do not collide but ZValue doesn't seem to make any effect.

2. I've read that there is script called Gear2.script but I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

Thanks for all,

PS
Although not in the subject of this thread, I think it would be very useful to have:
a. Manual
b. Ability to change the grid size

Re: is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 3 years, 7 months ago #864

Hi there, and welcome !

Will get to the 'Filters' soon....

1st, there is a start at better documentation, that the creator, Dimitris, set up on Wiki.
Have a look at....
physion.net/en/forum/7-general-discussion/577-physion-wiki
from a few years ago. There is a lot to be updated though. He shows a link there.
I'm starting to address that now, with additional forum topics too !

2nd, you can change the grid size.
Near the right of the toolbar, you will see an icon with 9 squares in a grid shape. Click on that to show the grid. To the right of that, there is a selection for grid-size.

I will answer your question on the use of 'Filters' in about 30 mins...
Glenn
1x1 square diag = root-2. Cube diag = root-3. Beautiful !
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Glenn555.

Re: is there a way to create objects in "layers"? 3 years, 7 months ago #865

NOW... About 'Filter' layers etc......

Changing the ZValue, (greater/less than other objects), ONLY changes how the objects are DISPLAYED, as in behind/in-front of each other... like cards thrown on a table.
Very handy in it's own right though !!

As you suspected, the 'Filters' perform the function you require.
When you select FilterCategories, (double-clicking the property value), you see in the tickbox window letters from A-P.
This designation puts objects on that particular 'Layer' in that sense. (Untick others).

When you select FilterMasks, (double-clicking the property value), THIS is where you define what 'Categories', (or 'Layers'), will COLLIDE or INTERACT with other object categories...
Here is a picture, of part of one of my old projects, (on the backburner...haha)....

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

PIC IS PART OF A .SCENE THAT YOU CAN SAVE, and LOAD into Physion, FROM HERE.... (RIGHT-CLICK AND SAVE LINK AS...)

Attachment Glenn555-PolygonGears-Racks-Sample.scene not found

(In this scene, i am NOT using Physions Gears, but are specially created Polygons of mine ! as is the other objects in the scene, and is beyond this discussion. I was working on external software to design, and then integrate into Physion with special Functions/Tools, to creat REAL gears etc, with proper teeth-count, diameters, and teeth angles...But the Gears look and behave bloody good now don't they haha..., but the 'object Filters' are the same !!)....

You will notice in the .scene, that objects 1 & 2 from the picture above, are Category-A, and colide only with 'A'. (Filter masks).
Objects 3 & 4 are category and filter 'B', and the rotating 'Needle' is category and filter 'C'.
If this wasn't done, then 1 & 2 would 'collide' with 3, which is not wanted !
The 'Needle' also does not colide with anything else.
Also, because item 1 had a different filter mask to 3, then the 'Pin' in the middle, (which is actually the 'Motor', is NOT pinned to 3, but pinned to the background !

Hope this helps....
You have added you question to a very old thread/post, but i will move it, and especially my replies, to a new thread soon.
Glenn This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
1x1 square diag = root-2. Cube diag = root-3. Beautiful !
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Glenn555.
Moderators: Lynxx, Glenn555
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds