Physion

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Manual entry of object dimensions (Advanced Mode)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Manual entry of object dimensions (Advanced Mode)

Manual entry of object dimensions (Advanced Mode) 6 years ago #680

There is a feature I would love to see implemented very badly, and I'll describe what I'm requesting in a very detailed manner.

What I'd like to see is an option for Simple or Advanced object creation. Simple mode would be the current, click-and-drag method of creating objects. Advanced mode would allow for far more precision by allowing you to either click twice, or click once for the point of origin and specify the size and distance from origin manually using the keyboard. A sub-option for Advanced mode would allow you to specify either the absolute or relative position of each point with regard to the previous one. While I understand that you can specify these things in the property editor, the option to do so when you create an object would be very useful for users like myself.

In the case of a Rectangle, Circle, or Gear, you would click once to specify a point of origin, and then a small input field would pop up in the lower-right corner, with a hint box that pops up and explains the required format and gives an example when you click the input field. You would specify the distance from origin in both X and Y, separated by a comma. For example, in Advanced/Relative mode:
" Specify the desired size in X and Y, separated by a comma.
(ex: 10.6 , 5.3)
( |_________________________| ) "

in Advanced/Absolute mode:
"Specify the opposite point in absolute X and Y, separated by a comma.
(ex: 10.6 , 5.3)
( |_________________________| ) "

Spaces between numbers and commas would be disregarded. Negative numbers are valid.

In the case of a Polygon, Chain, or Rope, it would work the same way except you would specify multiple points, separated by semicolons. For example, in Advanced/Relative mode:
" Specify each vertex relative to the previous one. Separate X and Y components by commas, and each vertex by semicolons.
(ex: 10.6,5.3 ; -2.4,-1.2 ; 5.6,3.3 ; -10.3,-5.2)
( |________________________| ) "

In Advanced/Absolute mode:
" Specify the the point of each consecutive vertex as an absolute point. Separate X and Y components by commas, and each vertex by semicolons.
(ex: 10.6,5.3 ; -2.4,-1.2 ; 5.6,3.3 ; -10.3,-5.2)
( |________________________| ) "

Again, spaces would be disregarded. Negative numbers are valid.

It seems as if something like this would be very easy to add, and power users would find this feature extremely useful when creating their contraptions. It can also allow for the creation of ovals, or other non-circular, rounded objects.

If anyone agrees with my suggestion, please say so, because I'd really like this feature to be added in an upcoming release. If anyone has a better idea that is similar, please add it to this thread.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by acosmicist.

Re: Manual entry of object dimensions (Advanced Mode) 6 years ago #683

Hi there, acosmicist.
I'm replying to this, as it has been posted for a few days, and i think Dimitris,
(Admin), is very busy and tied up with things.

I understand the concept you talk of, and it could be fairly easilly incorporated into
additional tools, with an add-on toolbar, but in the interim, maybe the following
would help you. This is making it a bit more 'C.A.D.' like, with creations.

As what you propose involves typing out a lot of numbers, you may as well just add
a word, being the name of a Function, that can be entered in the Command-Line.

As an example, I have written a '.script' file, in Javascript, that presently only contains
2 functions. 1 called 'rpoly( )', to create RELATIVE point-addressed polygons,
and 1 called 'apoly( )', to create ABSOLUTE point-addressed polygons.
You can download it, (along with a ReadMe file), from....

workingfiles.netii.net/PhysionStuff/AbsoluteRelative/

The supplied 'ReadMe' file explains what to do, and how you can load and use it.
Have a look at the '.script' file with an editor, and see what is happening !
All the parameters are separated by simple commas.
Turn on the Grid in Physion, set to .5, to see what is happening better.

Rectangles are much simpler, to create from the Command-Line, but obviously
the parameters passed result in the CENTRE being referenced, & Width/Height.
You could create a new Function or Functions, that can automatically produce the
rectangle from a specified starting point, like top-left, or bottom-left corner.
And even make it relative to another specified object. Absolute or Relative refs.

I hope the supplied file gives you a start. If you would like me to develop it more,
and create these additional functions for you, don't hesitate to ask.
I will try & create what you want, and add the functions to the '.script'.
Have a good day/night.
glenn.
1x1 square diag = root-2. Cube diag = root-3. Beautiful !
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Glenn555.
  • Page:
Moderators: Glenn555
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds